Getting A Divorce
At this point you and your partner have determined that your marriage is unsalvageable, and divorce is now your only option.
Divorce can be messy, time consuming and complicated with serious, long-term effects, both emotionally and legally. Our experienced and compassionate divorce attorneys can help simplify the divorce process, offering the support you need while allowing you to take care of yourself and your family.
It is our goal to get you through the divorce process as smoothly as possible. After your first consultation with us these are the next steps you can expect:
- Separation – One spouse must move off the shared residence (separate bedrooms in the same house don’t count!)
- File a petition – Appropriate forms must be completed and filed with the district court. Courts will not help with this process. This is also where shared property is divided.
- Notify the spouse – At this point your spouse must be notified and is served with the papers.
- Temporary hearing – In some cases, there may not be a trial for over a year. If this is the case there will be a temporary hearing to establish temporary child or spousal support, as well as the use of any shared items and accounts.
- The agreement – One of the most painful pieces of divorce is agreeing on how to divide assets (property and debts) as well as child custody and spousal support. Divorce attorneys can help with the negotiation in this process, especially if the other spouse has an attorney of their own.
- Trial – Divorce in court can become a true battle. It is the divorce attorney’s job to win the case for the client and to seek the best interests of the client. The judge bases the final decision on the evidence presented by the lawyer and usually decides right away or within hours.
This process may not seem that long however, divorce can take enormous amounts of time and energy. A divorce attorney with experience handling divorce cases can help advise you through the process and avoid mistakes, help reduce stress, speed up the process by avoiding delays and give you the confidence that all of your wishes are being communicated correctly.