How to Obtain Child Support in Idaho

In Idaho, when parents get divorced, they are legally obligated to financially provide for their children. Idaho uses an "income share model" to calculate child support amounts. With this model, the courts estimate what the couple would have spent on the children if they stayed together. Then the courts divide that amount between the parents, based on their incomes, to determine child support payments.

Calculating accurate child support in Idaho involves several complex steps, as the child support guidelines are complicated. While the Idaho Supreme Court's Office offers documents to help estimate payments, consulting an experienced family law attorney is usually best.

Gravis Law is a Boise law firm that helps clients in Boise and statewide with family law matters like child custody and support. They have extensive experience with the Idaho child support process.

Determining Child Support Amounts in Idaho

The "income shares model" in Idaho determines child support obligations based on each parent's percentage of total monthly income, according to the original text. For example, if Parent 1 makes $6,000 per month and Parent 2 makes $4,000 per month, Parent 1 is responsible for 60% of child support costs since their income is 60% of the total. Parent 2 covers the remaining 40%.

The original text states that income is not the sole factor in Idaho child support calculations. Custody arrangements also affect the final amount. If children spend less than 25% of overnights with the non-custodial parent, the "income shares model" applies unchanged and that parent pays support. However, shared custody usually means the non-custodial parent has the kids more often. So child support is adjusted based on each parent's expenses.

On top of basic guidelines, the courts may also factor in childcare costs, transportation costs related to visitation, and tax benefits like child tax credits and exemptions. All these can alter the final child support total in Idaho, per the original text.

Who Makes the Final Decision on Child Support in Idaho

While the courts will have the final say regarding child support in an Idaho divorce, parents can work with a family law attorney to negotiate a child support agreement using the state's guidelines. Often judges will approve agreements made in good faith.

Child support is frequently a contentious issue in family law. Gravis Law is dedicated to ensuring you are treated fairly with child support, custody, and all aspects of divorce.

Divorce is difficult. Let us meet with you and help determine what your child support obligations might be under Idaho law. We will examine the factors used to decide child support, unique elements of your case, and how those factors could apply.

We will guide you through the legal divorce process in Idaho, and assist you in preparing for mediation, settlement, evaluations, and litigation as needed.

Contact Gravis Law today to learn more about how our family law practice can help you understand Idaho's child support guidelines and protect your rights.