What is Supplemental Security Income?
Supplemental Security Income (“SSI”) is a financial need-based program. It is a federal income supplement program funded by general tax revenues.
- It is designed to help aged, blind, and disabled people, who have little or no income; and
- It provides cash to meet basic needs for food, clothing, and shelter.
This means, in addition to meeting the disability criteria, you must also meet the financial needs criteria. If you are awarded SSI benefits, you will also be eligible to receive Medicaid to help ensure that you are able to get the healthcare treatment you need.
The process of filing for SSI can be long, confusing and tedious. However, at Gravis Law, PLLC, we look to un-complicate this process. We always look to help those that may be eligible to apply for all disability programs and help you to obtain the Social Security benefits you deserve.
When to apply for Supplemental Security Income.
Apply as soon as possible so that you do not lose benefits. The government cannot pay benefits for time periods earlier than the effective date of your application.
Requirements for Supplemental Security Income.
To qualify for the SSI program, you must meet all of the following requirements:
- Be at least age 65 OR be blind or disabled
- Have limited income and resources
- Be a citizen or a national of the U.S. or an alien who meets certain applicable requirements
- Reside in one of the 50 States, District of Columbia, or the Northern Mariana Islands, except for a child of military parent(s) assigned to permanent duty anywhere outside the United States or certain students temporarily abroad.
Find a Social Security Lawyer near you.
Find a Gravis Law location near you. Our knowledge of social security law will provide you with the quality and personalized help and tools you need to get your SSI claim. We look forward to assisting you through this process – making it as smooth and uncomplicated as possible.
Book a consultation with a Social Security Lawyer.
To book a consultation with one of our experienced social security attorneys now, please click the live chat option or give us a call at the number above.
Olympia, WA Social Security Law1800 Cooper Point Road SW Bldg. 18,
Olympia, WA 98502